This guide will walk you through the steps of completing ID Verification with your client during a Remote Online Notarization
How to Complete ID Verification within a Stavvy Meeting
- Click “Start” next to ID Verification.
- To send the notification to the signer, click “Send”.
- The signer receives a pop-up on their screen to enter a valid US phone number to complete this verification
- The signer will need to click 'Send Text' after entering the phone number. A text message is now sent to this number for the signer to verify their identity through.
- If they do not have a US phone number, best practices are to enter a number belonging to someone in your office. Once entered, they will have the option to scan a QR code, and complete the ID verification using wifi on their phone
- Below are the screenshots of your signer’s process on their cell phone.
Welcome message to get started:
Select the country
*By default, the United States will be selected.
Click Next Step
Select the type of ID being verified.
Note: This must be a Drivers license, State ID, or Passport
Take a photo of the front/back of the ID. If the images were not good quality and the system could not read them clearly, the system will suggest new photos are needed. The signer should then click “Retake Photo” to restart the process.
- Hold the phone in landscape mode with the top of the mobile device facing left, when capturing the ID image.
- If the mobile is held portrait or with the top pointing right, the image capture will display as flipped upside down.
Position the camera directly over the document (not angled), and avoid glare if possible.
- Place the document on a dark, flat surface in a well-lit area.
- Natural lighting may work best, and avoid home lighting directly above the ID card.
Fill the screen, but let the background surface border all corners of the document (about 10%).
Be sure that all 4 corners of the document are visible.
If your signer is using a passport:
Flatten it as best as they can
- Include both the front of the ID and signature pages
- Note: Only the front of the ID will be available on the Meeting Details page under Documents at the end of the meeting
Once the photo is taken, the signer has the option to review and confirm the image.
Once the signer has taken both photos of the front and back of their ID, the system will determine if the images are good quality.
*This process may take a few seconds.
After the images are taken, the signers will see the verification “You're all set!”
After the signers have completed the ID verification steps, you may need to click “Check for updates” to see that the verification was successful.
Now you will have an additional security step of verifying the signers against the ID that was verified. Click “VERIFY” to start this process.
*You will see the image of the ID that was verified on the right. On the left, there will be a live video feed of the client. Once you have confirmed it is the same person, click “Capture & Confirm” to take a snapshot*
Once all ID Verification steps have been completed, you will see a green confirmation check.
What does "Successfully Uploaded" mean?
"Successfully Uploaded" does not mean the client passed the credential analysis. This just confirms the image file was accepted by the Stavvy system.
Why is my client's photo not being accepted?
There are various factors that can impact the success of this step. If your client is having trouble, ask them to try wiping their camera lens, avoid any glare, turning off the camera flash, placing the ID flat on a dark background, or using a picture of the ID they've saved in the past. Think of this like taking a picture of a check to deposit funds into a bank account.
- Once you have completed your signing and notarization session, you can locate the ID verification results on the Meeting Details page, under Participants
You will see the information that was captured from the ID as well as the images that were taken during the verification process.
- You will also see in the Notary Journal that the Credential Analysis was completed. To access the Notary Journal, click on the Notary Journal tab on the Meeting Details page.
- More information on the Notary Journal can be found here
If you have any additional questions about this process or need any help, please reach out to us at email@example.com